What are Chromebooks?
A Chromebook is basically a laptop that has chrome as its operating system instead of windows. It can be used when the Internet is available with cloud storage as the main medium of storing data. After being introduced to the general public, one of the major customers were schools. This is because in light of the recent advancements in science, schools are also looking forward to increase their student output in terms of creativity, cooperation, intellect and of course up-to-date citizens; a Chromebook has all the essentials that can help them achieve this level of productivity. Here are some of the main benefits of Chromebooks:
- They are low-priced: A major advantage of preferring a Chromebook to a laptop is the difference of price. Chromebooks are available in a very affordable range i.e. barely $150, therefore not only are they making great waves in educational institutes but also tech-related offices.
- They are fast: A total of six to eight seconds are needed to kick-start the device, which is quite impressive to say the least. This property is owed to its SSD hard drives and the expedient OS. If you’re in a hurry to check something on the internet you can be full aware of the subject in less than a minute given the swiftness of this device.
- They are user-friendly: They have been designed as such that the user finds it easy to navigate. Apart from constantly being updated in the background, their batteries last up to eight hours all the while being tremendously light-weight and therefore, handy. Students can carry them to their schools, employees can pack them up in an office bag and you can even take them when you go traveling! Supplementary to that, other features are also comprehendible by the layman.
- Controllable by manager: That’s not all; user control can be managed by the institute installing them and they can install the apps of their choice, block access to certain websites and monitor what the user is doing on the Chromebook henceforth it is a very convenient device. For parents, who want to keep a strict check on their child’s online activities, this can provide a lending hand; similarly for the top management to keep an eye on how the employees are progressing.
- They offer personal profiling: Just like laptop windows can create different profiles for each user, so can Chromebooks. Every user whether it be a student or an employee can have his personal profile that can be supervised by those in charge. Furthermore, sharing is also a possibility because the innate security software prevents any sort of malware to attack. Virus protection, safety encryptions, sandboxing are just some of the security checks they offer.
- Data safety is enabled: All your files, information, data is not saved on the ‘hard disk’ that can be prone to damage, rendering all your work useless. Chromebooks save your working on ‘cloud’ storage meaning that no physical damage like breaking your Chromebook can harm your data. That’s not all; even having it stolen won’t wash your data away because your personal profile can be managed on any other of the devices given that you remember the nicks and crooks of it.
- Google collaboration: Chromebooks are optimized with Google apps ranging from Gmail to Calendars and so on. If you’re already accustomed to this, you can work better. However, if you are not so used to Google apps you might need some time to learn, but they will make life easier because all your information will be uniform no matter what device you use to access it.
- Offline usage possible: While many apps are not available to be used offline, the Chromebook has a store of more than 200 apps that can even be used when no Wi-Fi signals are in the vicinity. In addition, android is also formulating apps that shall be used on the device without internet facility. This will make it a perfect device that even uses apps without connection to the World Wide Web.
- Power of Resistance: These Chromebooks are resistant to dropping, scratching and scraping. Technology testing has proven that a 48 inches drop to a wooden plank kept the Chromebook working without a graze! The Chromebook can also endure extreme temperatures that are in the range of minus 20.2 degrees to 140 degrees Fahrenheit coupled with humidity, quivering, rainfall, soil particles and dust. Tiny water spills are also survived by these, however, this doesn’t mean you can spill your morning tea over it and expect it to stay alive.
- Syncing your account: Since these Chromebooks use chrome and can create personal profiles, they can be synced to any computer anywhere in this world that uses chrome as a browser. Your login details are all you need to know in order to transfer your information from one computer to the other without hassle.
- Perks of a laptop: Although technically speaking, Chromebooks are not laptops but almost everything you can do on a laptop is also possible on these. Whether it is social media networking, or video chatting with your peers, song downloads, movie torrents, photo editing all are possible because you’re directly connected to the Internet world.
- Added bonuses and incentives:
Apart from the OK Google voice searching, you can also use the onscreen desktop! This means that the touch screen is activated and you can scrawl on the screen with your finger and the app will convert your scribbles into writing on the screen. Many a tests have been performed to check whether the app picks up the correct words and yes it does! (unless of course your writing is atrocious)
All in all, everything on this planet has its advantages and also some shortcomings. It’s up to you to decide whether you want to purchase a Chromebook or invest into a laptop, based on these qualities of this easily usable, internet connected, portable and sleek Chromebooks that are the latest sensations in the world of technology.